Applications for the Master of Arts in Design program are accepted October 1 through May 1 for admission the following fall semester.
Apply to the Division of Graduate Studies
Admission procedures and eligibility requirements are available from the Division of Graduate Studies and SF State Bulletin (Catalog):
Applications are accepted through Cal State Apply. The Cal State Apply application for Design will include basic information and upload areas for a statement of purpose, portfolio, transcripts, and letters of recommendation, and other supporting documents. We recommend that you prepare these documents before starting your Cal State Apply application.
Application requirements include:
- Undergraduate degree with an overall 3.0 grade point average.
- Portfolio with visual, written, and technical documentation examples.
- Current résumé or cv.
- Statement of purpose (500-750 words) : Tell us why you want to attend the Graduate Program in Design at SF State. Include your research emphasis or interest and what you believe you can contribute to graduate study. How will graduate study at SF State in the School of Design facilitate your future career goals? You may discuss any personal, educational, or career highlights if you wish.
- 3 letters of recommendation. These can be requested through Cal State Apply.
- Portfolio, or Evidence of Creative, Written, or Technical Work (or work that best exemplifies your past discipline of study and/or professional experience). This may include: - visual materials (binder; slides; printouts, video) - written materials (articles; publications; papers) - technical; professional documentation/examples Portfolio materials may be submitted as a PDF file or online via a URL.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Writing Analytical Exam, with a score of 4 or higher, is recommended but not required.
- Record of language scores (TOEFL or IELTS) is required for international student.
- Applications are due on May 1st. Late applications may be considered on a space-available basis.