The 30-unit, two-year Master of Arts in Design program emphasizes problem-solving methodologies and their application to both conceptual and practical problems. The program is interdisciplinary across visual communication and product design. Students develop a specialized area of focus with assistance from faculty advisors and through engagement with their graduate culminating project (thesis or creative work).
User-centered design methods, universal (inclusive) design, design with community partners, and socially motivated projects are particularly strong areas of our teaching, and align with SF State's mission to prepare students to be innovators and leaders in their communities and beyond.
- Faculty expertise ranging from product design to graphic design, visual communication, interactive design, digital modeling and fabrication
- Open to students from both design and non-design backgrounds
- Opportunities to participate in dynamic San Francisco Bay Area design community
- Outstanding faculty to student ratio
- On-site design facilities
- Accessible class schedules to accommodate working students
- International student applicants are welcome
Contact Hsiao-Yun Chu, the graduate coordinator, for more information.
M.A. Video Playlist