Students enrolled in the Design and Industry Graduate Program will be working toward a Master of Arts in Industrial Arts (M.A.I.A.) Degree. All candidates must apply to both the University and the Design and Industry Graduate Program. This is a separate but parallel process.
Both the University and the Design and Industry Graduate Program Fall semester applications for domestic and international students are due: March 1st. The department does not offer a grace period to submit supporting documents.
The graduate application for the University must be completed and submitted along with a fee. You must apply to SF State online. If you are an international student, review the Instructions for International Applicants.
SF State Bulletin (Catalog)
Complete procedures and guidelines for admission are contained in the University Bulletin, which can be obtained by writing or calling the SF State Bookstore, 1650 Holloway Ave., San Francisco, CA, 94132 USA, (415) 338-2023. Additionally, you may view the SF State Bulletin (Catalog) online.
Department Graduate Application Requirements
The graduate application for the Design and Industry must be submitted directly to the department. You can download a PDF version of the application. In addition to the department application form, you should carefully review the department application requirements outlined below:
- Grade Point Average (GPA)—A minimum 3.0 GPA is required of all applicants to the graduate program.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)—The GRE (Writing Analytical Exam, with a score of 4 or higher) is required for admission for domestic and international students.
- Letters of Recommendation—Three (3) letters of recommendation are required.
- Portfolio Requirement—Evidence of creative, technical or written work (or work that best exemplifies past discipline of study or professional experience):
- visual: binder; slides; CD; video
- written: articles; publications; papers
- technical: professional documentation/examples
- Resumé/Curriculum Vitae—A current resumé is required.
- Statement of Purpose—Your application should include a statement of purpose; at minimum, that statement should address the following:
- Why you want to attend the Design and Industry graduate program at SF State.
- What you believe that you have to offer or contribute to pursuing graduate educational study and research in the area of your emphasis or interest.
- How your graduate study in the SF State Design and Industry Department distinguishes or facilitates your future career goals.
- Tell us about your life, educational and/or career highlights.
NOTE: MAIA applicants are required to submit to the DAI Department, hard/physical copies of Letters of Recommendation, Resume and Statement of Purpose. Portfolio can be submitted via CD and/or physical document.
University Graduate Application Requirements
All applicants to the graduate program should review the extensive resources regarding University graduate application requirements outlined on the Graduate Studies website.
International Applicants Application Requirements
International applicants should visit the Office of International Programs web site as well as the Future Students website regarding International Student Admissions.
Notification of Admission
Once an application has been submitted, you may want to follow up on your University application status by calling the Graduate Studies Office at (415) 338-2234. International students should call (415) 338-2382.
You must be admitted in to both the University and the Design and Industry Graduate Program. It is possible for the University to grant admission and for the graduate department committee to deny your application. This is due to limited openings to study in the Graduate Program. You will be notified of admission into the program by official letter from the graduate admissions office. The admission letter will also contain a form entitled “Request for Advancement of Classified or Credential Status.” The conditions under which you have been accepted will be written on that form.