The 30-unit, two-year Master of Arts in Design program emphasizes problem-solving competencies that facilitate the ability to solve many problems, which can be both conceptual and practical in nature. Graduate students in the Master of Arts in Design program study visual communication and product design with an interdisciplinary perspective or may develop a specialized area of study in graphic design and/or visual communications, product design and/or manufacturing, industrial technology, project management, or digital media.
Tell us how we can help you.
Applications for the Master of Arts in Design program are accepted October 1 through May 1 for admission the following fall semester. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applicants are required to file two separate applications, one to the Division of Graduate Studies, and one to the School of Design — applicants who do not complete both requirements cannot be considered for admission.
Step 1: Apply to the Division of Graduate Studies
Admission procedures and eligibility requirements are available from the Division of Graduate Studies and SF State Bulletin (Catalog):
Step 2: Apply to the School of Design
Application requirements include:
- Undergraduate degree with an overall 3.0 grade point average.
- Portfolio with visual, written, and technical documentation examples.
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- Current résumé or cv.
- Statement of purpose.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Writing Analytical Exam, with a score of 4 or higher, is recommended but not required.
- Applications are due on May 1st. Late applications may be considered on a space-available basis.
Program Requirements and Curriculum
For graduates, the normal load during spring and fall is from nine to twelve units per semester and seven units during the summer. For international students immigration regulations require a minimum academic load of twelve units for undergraduates and eight units for graduates for spring, fall and summer semesters.
Additional details about the Master of Arts in Design are available from the SF State Bulletin (Catalog).
Fees and Expenses
- Estimated Per Semester Resident Tuition and Fees: $3,858.00
- Estimated 2-year Resident Tuition and Fees: $15,432.00
Nonresident (U.S. and International)
In addition to the estimated regular tuition and registration fees listed above, nonresidents of the State of California must pay an additional $372 per unit (or fraction) for nonresident tuition fee. The total nonresident tuition fee paid per term will be determined by the number of units taken.
- Estimated Per Semester Nonresident Tuition and Fees: $7,206.00
- Estimated 2-year Nonresident Tuition and Fees: $28,824.00
Financial Aid and Scholarships
School of Design
c/o San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave
San Francisco, CA 94132