Admission of California State University (CSU) qualified applicants will be based upon review of Supplemental Program Application.
When to Apply
Submit your Supplemental Program Application between October 1st and November 30th, 2012.
Applicants are selected for available spaces based on completion of prerequisites, GPA, experience in the field, professional goals statement and communication skills.
Requirements for admission for all students include: Completion of a minimum of 60 semester units with an overall grade point average of 2.50.
Completion of Two (2) Pre‐Major Requisite Courses (6 Units) with a grade of “C” or better in each:
Non‐SF State Transfer Applicants
- Any transfer course articulated to the SF State courses shown in list (B) as stated at www.assist.org > articulation agreements
- ONE (1) College level Drawing, Sketching, or Drafting course – 3 Units
- ONE (1) Computer‐Graphic related course (such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or CAD ‐ 3 Units).
SF State Continuing Student / Change of Major Applicants
Select TWO (2) of the Pre‐Major Requisite Courses, or their equivalents from a designated list of course that can be found in the Supplemental Application form.
Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages)
In this statement, please describe 1) the nature of your interest in design, 2) your experiences with design thus far, and 3) your future educational and career goals. Please use Arial, 11pt for your text. Also, put your name on the statement.
Student Advising Responsibilities
Keep in mind that the onus to plan and maintain your education is largely upon you.
San Francisco State University expects you to:
- Be knowledgeable of all degree requirements and ensure their completion.
- Purchase and read an SF State Bulletin upon entering the University. Carefully read the class schedule each semester and obtain department or major brochures, handbooks and information.
- Declare your major in a timely manner.
It is recommended that students who enter SF State as freshmen declare a major no later than the end of the sophomore year and those students who enter as junior transfers declare a major by the end of the second semester in attendance.
Seek academic advising at appropriate times.
Minimally, to include:
- When entering and/or transferring into the major.
- When experiencing academic difficulty, including probation and possibility of disqualification.
- When moving into upper division standing.
- When getting closer to graduation. (Contracts can not be modified in the semester you plan to graduate).
- When preparing to graduate from SF State.
Maintain an active personal academic advising folder and bring it with you to every advising appointment.
For a complete description of the Design and Industry program at SF State, please refer to the San Francisco State University’s official Bulletin (Catalog).