The 59-unit Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design addresses the creation of industrial goods and services and concentrates on three principle aspects of design — process, people, and product — and incorporates the study of user-centered needs, relative to the responsible and resourceful implementation of technology innovation, materials, marketing principles, and aesthetic values.
Learn more on the SF State Bulletin site:
SF State bulletin on Industrial Design
Industrial Design Roadmap (This is the roadmap beginning Fall 2021. If you started earlier, you will see different requirements.)
|Foundation Classes||First Semester in Major||Second Semester||Third Semester||Fourth Semester|
14 or 17 units
|15 Units||15 Units||
|DES 200*||DES 305*||DES 300*||DES 410*||DES 460|
|DES 222 or DES 221||DES 320*||DES 310*||DES 420||DES 505|
|DES 321*||DES 322*||DES 421*||DES 570|
|DES 356*||DES 324 or UD GE||DES 324 (if not taken)||DES Elective|
|DES 370*||DES 340* or DES 360*||DES 340* or DES 360*||DES Elective|
|UD GE B and/or D|
* means this is a prerequisite class.
General Education Requirements Met in the Major
- Upper-Division General Education, Arts and/or Humanities (UD-C) is satisfied upon completion of DES 356.
FOUNDATION REQUIREMENTS 6 units
- DES 200 Visual Design Literacy 3
And, select one
- DES 221 Introduction to 3D Design and/or 3
- DES 222 Introduction to 2-D Digital Design 3
CORE COURSES 13 UNITS
- DES 356 History Of Design And Technology (UD GE-C) 3
- DES 370 Introduction To Design 1
- DES 300 Design Process 3
- DES 322 Computer Graphic Imaging 3
- DES 324GW GWAR Research And Writing For Design 3
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS 28 UNITS
- DES 305 Lab Safety Basics 1
- DES 310 Product Design 1 3
- DES 320 Drafting And Sketching For Design 3
- DES 321 Technical Drawing 1: Introduction To Cad 3
- DES 340 Design And Materials 3
- DES 360 Model Development Laboratory 3
- DES 410 Product Design 2 3
- DES 420 Rapid Visualization 3
- DES 421 Technical Drawing 2: 3-D Solid Modeling 3
- DES 460 Rapid Prototyping And Manufacturing Systems 3
MAJOR ELECTIVES 6 units
(Select at least 2 of the following. At least 3 units must be non-DES/ 576, 685 or 699 coursework)
- DES 210 Our Manufactured World 3
- DES 256 Design and Society 3
- DES 332 Electricity And Electronics 3
- DES 448 User Experience Design
- DES 475 Topics In Design 3
- DES 510 Product Design 3 3
- DES 521 Technical Drawing 3: Advanced Modeling And Rendering 3
- DES 560 Prototyping Smart Devices 3
- DES 523 Information Design 1 3
- DES 699 Independent Study Or Des 576 Pract Expr: Internship 3
- Other Elective By Advisement
CULMINATING REQUIREMENT (6 units)
[Taken in your last semester]
- DES 505 Senior Design Project 3
- DES 570 Professional Practices For Design 3
Welcome Letter To Incoming BSID Students, Fall 2022
Students are required to take DES 370 in their fifth semester (first semester for Transfer students). One of the major assignments in this class is to choose an advisor and meet with them to complete an Advising Contract. BSID Advisors are Prof Carvalho, Prof Chu, Prof Gomes, Prof Linn, and Prof Trugo.
After this, students should meet with their advisor at least once a semester to remain on track for a timely graduation. Faculty advising in Design is available during fall and spring semesters with limited advising during the summer and winter.
Students can meet with an advisor prior to entering the University via arrangement with the Design office. To book appointments during the regular school year, navigate to the People section of this website and email the professor.
Students are required to purchase a laptop with required software when they begin the major. Students accepted into the Design program will receive hardware and software recommendations for their particular course of study. Please follow the specifications for each major: Visual Communication Design (BSVCD) or Industrial Design (BSID_PDD). Educational discounts on both hardware and software are available through the SF State Bookstore, and through various online vendors. If you qualify for federal financial aid and have not already been awarded the annual maximum in federal student loans, you may request an increase in the federal student loan to assist you with the purchase of the laptop.
Note: All Design Majors and Minors are eligible for free Adobe Creative Cloud licenses. View additional details about the laptop initiative, and download the ID Laptop Specs here.
Career Pathways for Industrial Design
- Industrial Design
- Product Development
- Furniture Design
- User Experience (3D)