The 58-unit Bachelor of Science in Visual Communication Design encompasses and integrates graphic design and digital media topics and offers additional study addressing advanced concepts and a changing technological landscape with new opportunities for education and profession. Students are prepared to collaborate with other design disciplines in technology, user experience and creative problem solving.
First Semester in Major
|Second Semester||Third Semester||Fourth Semester|
|DES 200*||DES 370*||DES 300*||DES 425*||DES 525 or 527|
|DES 222*||DES 322*||DES 325*||DES 427*||DES 505|
|DES 356*||DES 327*||DES Elective||DES 570|
|DES Elective||DES 324||DES Elective||DES Elective|
|UD GE B||DES Elective||DES Elective||DES Elective|
|UD GE D|
* means this is a prerequisite class.
General Education Requirements Met in the Major
- Upper-Division General Education, Arts and/or Humanities (UD-C) is satisfied upon completion of DES 356.
FOUNDATION REQUIREMENTS 6 units
- DES 200 Visual Design Literacy 3
- DES 222 Introduction to 2-D Digital Design 3
CORE COURSES 13 UNITS
- DES 356 History Of Design And Technology (UD GE-C) 3
- DES 370 Introduction To Design 1
- DES 300 Design Process 3
- DES 322 Computer Graphic Imaging 3
- DES 324GW GWAR Research And Writing For Design 3
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS 15 units
- DES 325 Graphic Design I 3
- DES 327 Interactive Design I 3
- DES 425 Graphic Design II 3
- DES 427 Interactive Design II 3
(Choose At Least One Of These Classes)
- DES 525 Graphic Design III 3
- DES 527 Interactive Design III 3
MAJOR ELECTIVES 18 units
(Select at least 6 courses from this list. No more than 6 units may be 200-level classes)
- DES 226 Modern Letterpress
- DES 227 Rethinking Digital Visual Media
- DES 256 Design And Society
- DES 475 Topics In Design
- DES 523 Information Design I
- DES 524 Information Design Ii
- DES 625 Design Practicum: Design Working Group
- DES 627 Adv Projects In Visual Communication Design - Ux (3)
- DES 628 Design Gallery
- DES 699 Independent Study
- Other Elective By Advisement
- Other Elective By Advisement
CULMINATING REQUIREMENT (6 units)
- DES 505 Senior Design Project (3)
- DES 570 Professional Practices For Design (3)
Students are required to take DES 370 in their fifth semester (first semester for Transfer students). One of the major assignments in this class is to choose an advisor and meet with them to complete an Advising Contract. BSVCD Advisors are Prof Christensen, Prof Hulick, Prof McVeigh-Schultz, Prof Sosa-Tzec, Prof Trugo, and Prof van Kampen.
After this first meeting, students should meet with their advisor at least once a semester to remain on track for a timely graduation. Faculty advising in Design is available during fall and spring semesters with limited advising during the summer and winter.
Students can meet with an advisor prior to entering the University via arrangement with the Design office. To book appointments during the regular school year, navigate to the People section of this website and email the professor.
Students are required to purchase a laptop with required software when they begin the major. Students accepted into the Design program will receive hardware and software recommendations for their particular course of study. Please follow the specifications for each major: Visual Communication Design (BSVCD) or Industrial Design (BSID_PDD). Educational discounts on both hardware and software are available through the SF State Bookstore, and through various online vendors. If you qualify for federal financial aid and have not already been awarded the annual maximum in federal student loans, you may request an increase in the federal student loan to assist you with the purchase of the laptop.
Career Pathways for Visual Communication Design
- Branding and Agency Graphics
- Interactive Design
- Print Design
- Data Visualization
- User Experience (2D and Screen)